Monday, April 4, 2011

Arts Explorer #8: Pretend Play & Magical Thinking

This here is my friend Ken

Ken is someone who's been very helpful to me. Some say those like Ken have changed the world and I can't say that I disagree. Whenever I feel I'm in the dark, Ken knows how to brighten things up. His discussions through light is often just what I need to feel better and get things done. In times when I need to buckle down and get work done, Ken is there to keep me company. He's not big on having any extra clothing or accessories on because he says it makes him too warm. You often get the same response from any of Ken's friends. Each day he is surrounded with by his 2 other friends but they each take turns keeping me company. It is often at this time when the others get their rest. They don't like to compete for the spotlight. I must say, I really enjoy having Ken around and really appreciate his help.

Using my imagination to help make Ken come alive was quite a refreshing activity. It's definitely been a while since I used my imagination in such a way. I do remember a similar time in highschool when my friends and myself gave some of our peers characteristics of supermen. One of our favourite was a guy we nicknamed "Long Man" because of how tall he was. When I look back on this now it was quite fun and amusing. It seems that after childhood the imagination is not as creative as it once was. As a kid you are always coming up with personalities for objects and toys and giving them an entire lifestyle. Using the imagination in way like this can keep a person busy for a long time.

Definition of the week: Line
Schirrmacher and Fox (2009) define a line as:
  • "a continuation of a dot" (p.135)
  • "is something we use to make letters, words, numbers, symbols, and signs" (p.135)
Lines are so commonly found in art because of the wide arrangement of its uses. They can be straight, squiggly, long, short, wide, narrow, be in all directions, cross or meet, dark or light and much more.

References:
Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for young children, sixth edition. Belmont, CA: Delmar

No comments:

Post a Comment