Saturday, January 22, 2011

Arts Explorer #2: Instant Sculpture with Found Objects


So this week I had the task of creating an instant sculpture. My sculpture made out of unused materials turned into a tree. I started off this project focusing on the product. It took a while for me to decide what I was going to create but the trees just outside my bedroom window sparked some interest. I decided on the wire, which I got from my dad, because I though it would be easy to manipulate and form. And the base of my tree was actually a piece from my Christmas tree from the holidays. The whole tree was created from wrapping the wire around the base and then adding more and strings of wire that I continuously wrapped around one another to eventually form branches.

As I mentioned previously, my main focus was on the product. I think as you grow older, and more often as an adult, your concern is on what your final creation looks like rather than the effort and fun you spent making it. Where as, a child would probably be more interested in the process and of the feel or manipulation of the materials, being active and hands on, but also having the overall sensory stimulation. The one thing that an adult or child may do similarly is trial and error. Children would likely do it for the exploration aspect but adults do it to reach perfection. Creating this sculpture made me realize where I put my focus and that I should perhaps try being less concerned of the product and enjoy and the overall process.

Weekly Definition: Texture
 Schirrmacher and Fox (2009) define texture as "the surface quality of a work of art". Texture is used when describing the feeling on a surface or a material. Some words for describing texture are rough, smooth, bumpy, carved, soft, scratchy or rough.

References:
Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for young children, sixth edition. Belmont, CA: Delmar

No comments:

Post a Comment